Tuesday, July 28, 2009




Yesterday, I asked if anyone knew the connection between Emily Carr and a horse with a monkey on top and a little dog, and a person that made up a sculpture, on one of Vancouver’s streets. I got lots of answer’s and web sites sent to me regarding this picture. Thank you to everyone! I’m smarter now!


If interested please follow this link.  http://www.heffel.com/links/News/2005_08_22_Faffard_E.aspx

Another question asked: Did I see Vancouver sky the other night? Yes, Sis, I did see it, which means you are not reading your favourite sister’s blog!! But my sister sent me a great time view of the day of the storm that is very interesting to see and I appreciated her sending it. Also, hello to Gil, who I thought of today and every time we go down Davie Street and turn onto Denman Street. I hope all is well, and one of these day’s we’ll come in searching for you and having a cold one!!

PS…if this doesn’t work for you, copy and paste into your browser. It’s fascinating to see, with incredibly beautiful skies.


Another question – I’m not working on genealogy at the moment. Shannon is waiting for some microfiche and without her pushing me, I’m stale mated for the moment. Will get back to it though.

Another question asked about the whale: Courtesy of the Vancouver Sun and CanWest News Service

ã A fin whale found lodged against a massive Alaskan cruise ship in Vancouver on Saturday, was brought to the Institute of Ocean Sciences for a necropsy held on a barge on Sunday. The immense carcass was 21 metres long, and is believed to weigh 70 tonnes.


VANCOUVER — A dead fin whale found wedged against the bow of an Alaskan cruise ship in Vancouver will be dropped back into the ocean following an necropsy to determine how it died.

The adult whale was discovered lodged on the bulbous bow, the part of the bow that cuts through the water, when the Sapphire Princess docked at Canada Place Saturday morning after returning from Alaska.

It’s not yet known whether the whale was dead or alive when it collided with the Princess Cruises’ ship. Fin whales are listed as threatened under the Species at Risk Act.

“We don't know a lot about fin whales. They’re called the greyhounds of the sea because they’re quick and they’re usually just zipping by,” said Paul Cottrell, Pacific marine mammal coordinator for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. “The necropsy will be extremely useful for research and education.”

Cottrell said the whale’s carcass has been taken to Sidney for the necropsy and would likely be dropped into its watery grave within a week.

“Dead whale carcasses team with life on the continental shelf and beyond. They are really islands of life,” Cottrell said. “They provide an ecosystem for a whole bunch of other animals.”

Two tugboats were required to move the whale because of its size. Cottrell said it was about 21 metres long, weighed about 70 tonnes, and was likely middle-aged. Fin whales usually grow to a maximum length of 24 to 27 metres.

“The great expertise of divers under the water allowed us to remove the whale without a hitch,” Cottrell said.

Tourists watched as the whale was removed from the boat's bow.

“It looks so small compared to the boat,” said Ed McKeowan, 69, of Chicago.

“I think it’s a shame but it’s inevitable. Unfortunately we share the sea with the whales,” said Ross Harlow, 70, of Whistler.

Fin whales are not normally found in Johnstone Strait or Georgia Strait, so it’s likely the ship struck the whale somewhere north of Vancouver Island, Lisa Spaven of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans said.

“Vessel strikes are a very real threat to fin whales,” Spaven said, adding it is very difficult to put a number on how often whales die due to ship collisions since such incidents may go unreported.

Princess Cruises said in a news release: “It is unknown how or when this could have happened, as we have strict whale avoidance procedures in place when our ships are in the vicinity of marine life.

“We take our responsibility to be good stewards of the marine environment very seriously, and have clear guidelines for our ships on how to operate if whales are sighted nearby, which include altering course and reducing speed as required.”

This is the second time in the 10 years that a cruise vessel has come into the Port of Vancouver with a whale caught on the bow.

In June of 1999, the Celebrity Cruise vessel MV Galaxy collided with an adult male fin whale, which likely happened as the ship transited the Hecate Strait north of Vancouver Island.


 Tom went for his stress test this morning and he did VERY well, in spite of the set back he had. So, now we wait until the doctor looks at it and has a exercise program for him to do.

It’s another HOT, HOT day here but it’s fairly cool up here on the 7th floor with all our window’s open, along with a little, much welcomed breeze. More of the same ALL week long!

No hot meals are being cooked either, just tomato sandwiches, and not even toasted!! Too hot to cook and we don’t have a BBQ, which is something we would only use maybe once a year!

That’s it folks! Too hot to blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you readers. Please leave at least 'hello" to let me know someone is reading this! Thanks and a hug in return!

About Me

My photo
West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Living life to the fullest and enjoying every moment! In love with a wonderful husband!! A Capreol Girl from 1959-1975, Belleville 1975-1985


Linda's Rambling and Other Things