Friday, May 9, 2008

REMEMBERING MOM ON MOTHER'S DAY




Mom's favourite flowers were beautiful yellow roses.

Mom's children- L-R Michael, John (now deceased), Roxanne, Linda



We were all brought up to be very proud of our Irish heritage, and loved to hear stories of Ireland.



Mom was born near Banbridge, Ireland in 1920. Mom was the oldest of 10 children. Not all are shown here. From L - R. My Grandfather John Lindsay, my Grandmother Rachel Lindsay, my mother Gladys, Alf, Jack, Jim, Jean, Colleen, missing, is Fred, Sam, Irene, and deceased baby Maureen



I'm remembering and honoring my GRANDMOTHER shown here with my MOTHER as well on this Mothers day...and always everyday, with much love.



Mom with John




I remember my Mom as being as beautful both on the outside as the inside. Mom was always a gentle person and loving towards everyone she met. Her sense of humor was just the best! I remember so many great fun times, with her, as we, her children, John, Mike, Myself and Roxanne, grew to be the good, honest adult people she wanted us to be. I think she would of been proud of us, but then again, she is still with us....only a breath away! Sometimes, I even feel her near me!!



Shortly after Mom and Dad we're married

"Nanny" as our Grandmother was called, was the perfect, cute little round loving person with an Irish lilte to her voice, that I loved, but that I didn't always understand. Whenever she would see us, she would always say "ohhhh, where'd ye come from now?" I loved and adored her so much. She was wonderful! She had such a hard life, that I admire her so much. My grandfather died in 1946. So with 10 kids, she had a handful!

.





















My other Grandmother is not forgotten, although I have no picture of her here in Vancouver with me.

I remember her with love also. Grandma was a tall, proud, well dressed, white haired lady. I don't remember her as well as my Nanny. We didn't see her much as we grew up as she lived many miles from us. She passed away when we were all children.


Look at that laughing face!!

Mom on Christmas morning laughing at something. She had the most wonderful sense of humor and delighted in such small things. She made our chores fun, always putting us first and content to be last. Mom was a wonderful homemaker and a fantastic cook. I can't ever remember Mom raising her voice at us. When the grandchildren came along, she was so happy to take part in their growing up, and made each and every one "her special one".

Mom and Dad we're always so in love and devoted to one another. Dad would go off to work and part way down the street, he would always turn around and give Mom, who would be watching and waiting, for Dad to turn around and give Mom the two hand, clenched together, wave, that ment he loved her.
Mom and her son Michael dancing


Mom and Dad not long before she passed away.























So, on behalf my Brother Mike and Sister Roxanne, Aunts and Uncles, all the Grandchildren, we want to tell you Mom, Nanny and Grandma, we always think of you and love you very much, and miss you even more.


Mom passed away, on June 6/1980. I was 36. How I missed her!! Her biggest wish in life was to see her grandchildren married. She never made it that long. I look in the mirror and everyday, I see my mom looking back at me. She lives on in so many ways, in all her children. We talk of her often and laugh about what mom would think if she knew this or that. She was loved so much by all of us.

This is a poem my mother loved and said if she died, she wanted us to remember her like the words in the poem. I alway's do Mom, and when I see those morning birds in flight, the sun glistening on the snow, and those winds that blow, the grain in the fields, the stars at night, wondering which one is you. I always think of you. But, I can't help it....I still weep at your grave


I Did Not Die


Do not stand at my grave and weep.

I am not there; I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow,I am the diamond glints on snow, I am the sun on ripened grain,I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush, I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night. Do not stand at my grave and cry, I am not there;

I did not die.





To ALL Mother's, have a wonderful day!!










About Me

My photo
West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Living life to the fullest and enjoying every moment! In love with a wonderful husband!! A Capreol Girl from 1959-1975, Belleville 1975-1985

Followers

Linda's Rambling and Other Things

Labels