Saturday, May 17, 2008

WHY THE LONG WEEKEND?

Queen Victoria

Victoria Day is celebrated on the first Monday preceding May 25th. It is a statutory holiday throughout all of Canada except the Atlantic provinces (New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island).
Victoria Day falls on the second to last Monday in May, which is usually the third weekend, but can be the fourth in years like 1999 where the 31st falls on a Monday. It falls on the weekend preceding Memorial Day in the United States. Some cities celebrate this day with fireworks in the evening.
Victoria Day is officially the Sovereign's birthday. The Sovereign's birthday was first observed in Ontario (then called Canada West) in 1845 to celebrate the birthday of Queen Victoria of England (1837-1901).
After the death of Queen Victoria, an Act was passed by the Parliament of Canada establishing a legal holiday on May 24 in each year (or May 25 if May 24 fell on a Sunday) under the name Victoria Day. An amendment to the Statutes of Canada in 1952 established the celebration of Victoria Day on the Monday preceding May 25, making it the first long weekend of the summer season.

So there you have it! Victoria Day! That's for you history buffs out there!
It's been a HOT day today, and most welcomed!

We went out for an enjoyable breakfast this morning with Joan and Martin, then visited for awhile. Then Patricia and I went for a little shopping area near here called Caulfield. Not much there, but we had a coffee at Starbucks.

We stopped at the Library and filled up on new books. I can't even keep up the list on here, I'm reading them so fast!

While in the Library, I suddenly felt sick and barely made it to the washroom. It was so hot in there, and my temperature seem to suddenly raise way up, until I thought I was going to pass out. Patricia came looking for me finally, and I just felt very weak.
I still don't feel very good, so this is going to be a short blog today.
I guess if Tom wants supper tonight, he's on his own!!

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great weekend and will be back tomorrow.


About Me

My photo
West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Living life to the fullest and enjoying every moment! In love with a wonderful husband!! A Capreol Girl from 1959-1975, Belleville 1975-1985

Followers

Linda's Rambling and Other Things

Labels